Sunday, March 15, 2015

17 Weeks - Being a Solo-Mama & Playground Woes

Here we go, back to being a solo-mama for a month. Nothing compared to deployment, but it's still a challenge!

Had to take my own pic...
17 week selfie with Zoie!
James headed out late Thursday night to spend a month in a training session. Hopefully this will be the last time I'm without him for a long time! Our future Army plans don't involve jobs that deploy or have long training rotations. This is wonderful for our growing family - we need daddy around!

Of course the day after James leaves, Zoie gets her first serious injury on the playground. She tripped over her feet while running on the soft green turf, and just happened to fall forward and hit her eyebrow on the play structure she was about to climb onto! Blood was everywhere, tears were falling,  and I was scared she might need stitches!

We were a mile away from home, with just the stroller, a bottle of water, and an extra sweatshirt. I used the sweatshirt and water to mop up her blood and try to stop the bleeding. Luckily, a nice lady at the playground who happened to live close by ran up to her house and grabbed a baggie of ice for us. Once Zoie had calmed down and we got the bleeding to stop, I realized her cut wasn't quite so serious. I carried her the 1 mile back to our house, while pushing our little dog Brownie in the stroller. We must've looked pretty peculiar strolling by in the neighborhood!

I stopped by our neighbor's house who was a nurse, just to get her opinion about Zoie needing stitches or not. She assured me Zoie would be just fine after I cleaned it with a bit of soap and water. That was a relief! Can you imagine a toddler trying to leave stitches on her face alone!?

A few days later and Zoie's cut is healing just fine. It makes me re-think my preparedness when we go out - I'm going to carry a few antiseptic wipes, little gauze pads, and bandaids. I haven't had a first-aid kit in my diaper bag or stroller, but I think it's time to carry at least a few essentials!

Back to the baby #2 show - overshadowed by Zoie's antics! Our 17-week tiny baby is busy growing its skeleton from soft cartilage into hard bones! He/she is also starting to develop sweat glands and his/her sense of hearing.

How far along are you? 17 weeks as of Friday.
 
How big is Baby?
 Our little baby already weighs 5-6 ounces! He/she is over 5 inches long from head to bottom, so imagine an onion or a turnip.

Weight Gain? My weight continues to fluctuate! I weight the same as last week, 129.5lb. Total gain = 3.5lb

Gender? One month and we'll know! I'm still predicting boy. Which means I'll probably be wrong :)

Maternity Clothes? Still not bumping out much, so my regular shirts are fine. I can't fit into most of my jeans without using my BeBand though. Gotta keep that top button unfastened :)

Sleep? Up and down. Depends on how Zoie sleeps. It's a little lonely without James at the moment, so I've been letting Brownie snuggle in bed... shhhh!

Movement? I feel movement every day! A little kick here and there, or sometimes I feel a little pressure as our baby shifts around.

Food Cravings? I wish I could drink more coffee. I'm limiting myself to a latte one or twice a week! Really, I could drink coffee all day long. Decaf just isn't worth it though. Bring on the tea!

Labor Signs? Nope.

Symptoms? Well, I got re-tested and still have Gardnerella bacteria. My home remedy of apple cider vinegar didn't work. I drank two tablespoons every day for over 2 weeks! *Sigh* oh well. Only 5 days of antibiotics and I'll be done.

What I miss? James!

Best moment(s) of the week? We got Zoie a slide for our front deck. It's life-changing! Morning till dusk we slide down the slide! Her Bitty Baby and Spiderman action figure also enjoy the slide.

What I am looking forward to? Lot of fun things this week - dressing Zoie up for St. Patty's Day, day trip to IKEA with my mother-in-law (who else loves their shopping carts!?), and my parents flying in for a visit next week!

Cheers,

Martha

No comments:

Post a Comment