Saturday, March 28, 2015

18... 19 Weeks - The Bad and the Good

Wow, we're almost halfway there!
Getting bigger!

As you might have noticed, I missed my 18 week update! Last Saturday, our basement flooded with an inch of sewer water when the city sewer line backed up, and it took most of my weekend trying to coordinate help and manage the situation! It was quite the disaster.

Of course things go wrong when your spouse is away... but I wasn't quite expecting this. Luckily, I had professional help come within a few hours after noticing the sewage backup! The local plumber, the city sewer workers, and someone from a cleanup/restoration company ALL came Saturday night. The next morning, the cleanup/restoration team returned to strip all the flooring, carpet, and remove contaminated drywall from the downstairs. I was impressed with how promptly we were taken care of! I'm glad our landlord was quick to hire help.

As tempting as it was to be involved and salvage more of our stuff before it got wet, I had to keep myself away from the situation as much as possible. Being pregnant, I needed to be extra careful to avoid the contaminated water full of bacteria and viruses!

Luckily, we don't keep many household goods in the downstairs basement area, so we had limited damage to our personal belongings. Our camping packs got a little wet on the bottom, but nothing we can't bleach and sanitize. We lost maybe $100 worth of supplies - it could've been way worse.

Now that our downstairs is completely torn up, we're getting estimates from a few contractors to replace the flooring and drywall. I'm glad everything is clean, but I'm anxious for our laundry room and den to have a floor!

My parents are visiting right now, so it's nice to have some good to offset the bad! We've had fun going to restaurants and taking Zoie to the playground. Zoie calls them "Ga" for grandma, and "Pa" for grandpa. She wakes up in the morning exclaiming "Ga-Pa-Ga-Pa-Ga-PA!" and runs to knock on their door. It's so fun to see them bonding again after several months apart!

How far along are you? 19 weeks  as of yesterday.
 
How big is Baby?
 About the size of a large mango! Six inches from head to rump, and weighs 8.5 ounces. He/she is growing hair, kidneys are producing urine, and the baby is now developing a waxy coating called vernix caseosa all over his/her skin as a protectant from the amniotic fluid.

Weight Gain? My current weight is 131, so I'm up 5 pounds total. I just checked my 19 week blogpost from my first pregnancy, I gained exactly 5 pounds by 19 weeks as well! Right on track.

Gender? Our sonogram is scheduled for April 16th!

Maternity Clothes? My middle is definitely getting bigger, so my maternity pants are quite comfortable now. Haven't really started wearing maternity tops yet - my looser regular tops work fine.

Sleep? Sleep isn't so great. Even when Zoie sleeps through the night, I'll still wake up several times because I'm thirsty or my throat is dry. My allergies and congestion make it tough to breath through my nose at night.

Movement? Movement is getting stronger! I can feel kicks from the outside sometimes when I press my hand on my abdomen, but they're pretty gentle since the baby is still tiny.

Food Cravings? Not really, things have been pretty normal. Oddly, I'm not craving citrus this pregnancy the same way I craved it with Zoie. I have noticed that tomato-y things have been especially delicious though.

Labor Signs? Nothing.

Symptoms? Pregnancy allergies are the worst! It's been over 3 weeks now of constant sneezing, runny nose, congestion, sinus pressure, itchy eyes... Some days are better than others, but since the warm weather arrived here in Kansas my allergy symptoms have been rough! Last spring, I didn't have ANY allergies, but two years ago when I was pregnant with Zoie I did experience mild springtime allergies in Kansas. I hope they disappear when we move to California this summer!

What I miss? Starting to miss my old body. The in-between bump stage is always awkward. And since this is my second pregnancy, my veins (especially on the right side of my body) are really getting stressed with the added pressure of a growing baby. My right leg has a couple awesome-looking varicose veins, and a few sunburst-patterned spider veins. YAY.

Best moment(s) of the week? It's been nice to have the house full of family while James is away, I'm grateful to not be alone! I'm pretty blessed to have my in-laws living close by AND my parents visiting right now.

What I am looking forward to? I can't wait to be able to talk to James again - he's been in a 2-week training mission with no cell phone, so I really miss him! Hopefully by Friday he'll be able to contact me!

Cheers,

Martha

No comments:

Post a Comment