Tuesday, April 9, 2013

25 weeks - Hospital tour!

Hi guys!

25 weeks!
It's finally starting to feel like spring here in Kansas. Our grass is green! These naked Kansas trees (I might miss my Washington evergreens a bit...) are finally forming buds and just starting to bloom.

This week has been busy! I got to meet my new OB doctor on Thursday for my monthly checkup. Out of 6 doctors, she was the only one who had availability in July to deliver a baby. I was a little concerned about not being able to choose my doctor, but luckily, she seems pretty cool. July is going to be a busy month in the maternity ward!

Speaking of the hospital, James and I were able to take a tour of the Birth & Women's Center this weekend. We lucked out, because not a single patient was there! We met every single nurse and assistant working that day, checked out all the labor/delivery rooms, and the post-delivery rooms. I had some doubts about the hospital, because my ideal birth would be at home with a midwife. However, I was impressed with the atmosphere! Each labor/delivery room has a whirlpool hot tub and an exercise ball. I'm glad they encourage moving around and doing what feels good during contractions and labor, because my worst fear is being confined to the bed with IVs and monitors strapped to my body. The nurse giving our tour said as long as I refuse drugs to induce labor (Pitocin), I can do as I please. She also mentioned I might have to strongly remind my doctor that I don't want Pitocin, because the doctors want to keep labor and delivery moving along their schedule.

The post-delivery rooms are quite comfortable-looking, each with a double bed so couples can sleep together. They allow guests to freely visit between 12pm and 8pm, but morning guests are kept to a minimum. In the labor/delivery room, I'm only allowed 2 guests at a time.

It's crazy to think that once the baby is born, James and I are suddenly in charge of making health decisions for another human being! I'm all about research, and so my current project is exploring a plan for Zoie's newborn care.

When babies are born at this hospital, they're all given 3 things: eye ointment, a Hepatitis B shot, and a Vitamin K shot. So far, I think we'll decline all three. The eye ointment is an antibiotic to protect the baby's eyes from syphilis, gonorrhea, or chlamydia. I don't have any of these...Why do they give this to all babies? Nobody knows... The Hepatitis B shot is also a mystery. It's a sexually transmitted disease! Why does a baby a few minutes old need this shot? It can wait.

The Vitamin K shot is also very controversial. Since babies are naturally born with low levels of Vitamin K until their 8th day of life, this vitamin shot is given to increase blood clotting to protect against a special kind of bleeding called hemorrhagic disease of the newborn. However, newborns can also receive Vitamin K through breast milk if the mother has sufficient Vitamin K levels (1 cup of kale = 678% daily Vitamin K!). So, as long as Zoie has a natural birth without being pulled by forceps or yanked by a vacuum extractor, I don't see why she would need an unnatural level of Vitamin K shot into her. We will do more research and decide what is best.

Cheers to 25 weeks of development! 105 days until Zoie's due date :)

Baby, fetus at 25 weeks - BabyCenter

How far along are you? 25 weeks today! Only a couple more weeks until third trimester. Wow.

How big is Baby?
  I can feel her increased size lately! Her movements can move my whole belly. She's about 1.5lb now, and 13.5 inches from head to heel.

Weight Gain? My mid-morning weight today is 141.5 - That's 10lb exactly!

Gender? Little baby girl!

Maternity Clothes? Some of my regular tops are getting quite snug. I'm wearing roomier shirts and feeling cute in my maternity tops!

Sleep? Still nightly bathroom trips (sometimes twice) and sleeping with a pillow between my knees so my hips don't get sore. I'm thankful to feel well-rested throughout the day!

Movement? Sometimes I'll lift my shirt and just watch the belly. James can even see my belly move from across the room sometimes! Her kicks and body shifts are getting really strong.

Food Cravings? Not exactly cravings, but food just tastes and smells really good in general. Especially the fresh apple pie in my oven right now... :)

Labor Signs? None so far.

Belly Button in or out? It's pushing outward a bit more. My belly button ring kind of sits on one side or the other, it doesn't hang down the middle anymore!

What I miss? I'm starting to feel slightly awkward when we go out to bars. The baby bump, trying to shout to the bartender that you want a pineapple-sprite (not a pineapple vodka!), and trying to dance with my balance slightly off. It's weird stuff.

Best moment(s) of the week? I had a great birthday going out for dinner with James and his parents, and his mom even baked me a chocolate chip cookie cake! We've also had fun hanging out with our friend Nate, who just moved here this weekend. With frequent moves and new faces with the Army, it's so nice have a good friend in the area.

What I am looking forward to? Only 2 weeks until my trip back to the Northwest! I can't wait to see my friends and family. Also, I just found out today that my doctor would like to do another ultrasound, because my ultrasound in Alabama didn't cover everything they wanted to see. YESS we get to see Zoie again!!! Monday at 6pm!

Cheers,

Martha

No comments:

Post a Comment