Tuesday, April 30, 2013

28 weeks - Feeling quite pregnant...

Hey all!
28 weeks!

I think this week is the turning point. I finally look pregnant all the time! The belly has shape-shifted into more of a bump, instead of an awkward pooch. It's especially bump-like when I'm sitting down, making a great place to rest my cup or mug. Welcome to third-trimester :)

Third trimester has arrived with a growing list of awkward pregnancy symptoms. In the last two weeks, I've developed an itchy bumpy rash all over my belly, thighs, and backside (I'll ask my doctor, but I'm pretty sure I have PUPPPS). It's pretty annoying, but it's nothing serious and it should go away after Zoie is born.

However, I'm still extremely thankful that I completely skipped morning sickness! My grandma told me recently that she didn't experience morning sickness with any of her 4 babies, and my mother didn't experience any morning sickness with her three. Hooray for good genes!

Another awkward symptom is early lactation... It's really time to buy some nursing pads. I had an embarrassing moment yesterday at the coffee shop - thank goodness I was wearing a black shirt!

Lastly, I've been dealing with a hernia. I woke up a few weeks ago with an olive-sized lump on my groin (omg, do I have cancer?), and my doctor said I have a hernia! Simply a bit of muscle that is stretched and torn, which allows part of my intestines to poke through. Pretty weird, huh? Apparently it's not uncommon during pregnancy. It doesn't hurt, but sometimes it feels a little sensitive. The worst part is that I'm not supposed to lift anything over 25lb... easier said than done! Well actually, the worst part is that I'll need a small surgical procedure to repair the hernia after Zoie is born. Boooo...

Anyways, my trip here in the Northwest has been wonderful. I've been fortunate to visit lots of cool places, see tons of my friends, and enjoy time with my parents. Not to mention, we've been spoiled with sunshine! This weekend I'm headed up to Vancouver BC with some of my best buds from college, I can't wait!

At 28 weeks of development, Zoie might look like this:

Baby, fetus at 28 weeks - BabyCenter

How far along are you? 28 weeks (thus begins my third trimester!)
 
How big is Baby?
Little Zoie is growing SO fast. From now until 35 weeks, she'll be gaining almost 1 ounce per day (28 grams). Today she should be right about 2 and 1/4 pounds. She's about 14.8 inches long, though I'm guessing she's a bit shorter.

Weight Gain? I weigh about 145. These are numbers I've never seen before! This is weird! (But not weird at the same time...) Weight gain = 13.5 pounds

Gender? We're having a girl!

Maternity Clothes? I've definitely switched to mostly all maternity clothes. Except coats, sweatshirts, sweats... My regular clothes just aren't long enough! Even if they stretch over the belly, my regular shirts proudly display my waistband.

Sleep? It's not quite the same without my hubby... but sleeping in my old bed in my high school bedroom is kinda fun. I'm still sleeping pretty well throughout the night.

Movement? Lots of movement! My friends and parents have all been able to feel her move, it's so fun! It's becoming easier to press my hand into my abdomen and feel actual limbs move, which is a pretty weird sensation. Just the other night, I felt her hiccuping for the first time! Funny little rhythmic jumps in my belly.

Food Cravings? Still enjoying all food, but the best food (beverage) all week? Masala Chai during dinner at my favorite Indian restaurant - with unlimited refills! I think I drank several pints of the sweet spicy creamy goodness.

Labor Signs? Nope, nothing this week. I saw the TINIEST baby the other day, whose mama said she was born more than 4 weeks early! Poor baby! I feel inclined to remind Zoie to STAY IN THERE!!!

Belly Button in or out? Not terribly different from last week, but it's continuing to look strange. It looks like a tiny nose poking out of my belly.

What I miss? I miss my husband! And my puppy. It's a little sad being away for 16 days while he's back at home - I sooo wish he could be here enjoying the Northwest with me.

Best moment(s) of the week? I had a great time at my baby shower on Sunday! My girls here organized a little get-together to celebrate Zoie, and afterwards we went to a Mariners game (which we won - yay!).

What I am looking forward to? It's been such a fun week with my friends and family. Tulip fields, glass art exhibit, Seattle Center, farmers market, shopping, restaurants, Mariners game... we've done so much! I'm looking forward to another busy & exciting week before I return to Kansas.

Cheers,

Martha

No comments:

Post a Comment